Mia: 29 years old, female, Londoner, consumer, teacher, penpal, sister, wife, animal lover, dreamer, planner, crafter, joker, love. My Instagram

Thursday 21 January 2010

Wishful Thinking

While sitting in the garden enjoying a cigarette and coffee I began to think about work, or lack there of. I made a conscious decision to turn what is left of this week into making week (i.e. really get cracking on my handmade goodies for etsy) and to make next week work week.

Yes, I know that I'm going away from the 6th of February until the XXth of February, depending on if/how long we are going to spend in Lyon (you should go, it's such a pretty city). I am aware that I will probably find a lot of jobs that I know I can do but chicken out from applying for because I've never done them before and I know I will p*o my pants because I've been out of work for a while and would rather work in a supermarket than challenge myself right now, but I can't keep making excuses for myself. I've been out of work since August. That's 6 months! What do I have to show for it? A whole bunch of debt and a depleted savings account... I can't ignore it anymore. I'm going to look into temping and I'm going to throw caution to the wind and apply for everything I fit the person specification for (as long as it's not flipping call centre work again).

What I really started thinking about goes like this: I have no smart office clothes. That means that if I get a smart office job, I will have to buy clothes for said job before I get paid. I have a whole drawer full of smart-casual office clothes, but they will not cut it, especially since most, if not all of the tops are from *cough* primark and the only decent pair of work trousers I have left I bought 3 years ago for my graduation and they look tired and worn and the hems are falling apart.

I made a decision, I need/want to buy a nice pencil skirt, not too expensive, M&S for example... something £40 or less, I need/want a nice blouse, not a shirt, but a blouse, in fact I could do with getting 2 or 3. I could also do with a nice quality cardigan and a smart jacket to go with said skirt and blouse. I can deal with spending up to £200 on a nice basic smart wardrobe... it will kill my bank account/credit card, but it's an investment (see, I'm trying to talk myself into it!), however, I have a horrid problem that I'm losing weight.

I don't like the idea, no, I hate the idea of spending £200 on 6 items of clothing that I'm going tohave to replace in 2-3 months time. I guess if I do get a job it won't be so bad, but it seems like such a freaking waste!

Sigh.

Anyway, I made a big mistake at looking at designer clothes. I never buy designer. I can't afford it and I'm too big. But I've found some gorgeous things that I really want to own... Vivienne Westwood... swoon.



Vivienne Westwood Anglomania Collection - Jersey Draped Dress £110

I absolutely love this dress, it's great for the office, dressed with some opaque tights, or with sheer tights as pictured. It could be worn straight out of work to a bar, restaurant, theatre, just about anywhere. Wrap a belt around, pair with a sparkly clutch... anything goes with this dress and I adore it.


Vivienne Westwood Anglomania Collection - Propaganda Jacket £445


Vivienne Westwood Anglomania Collection - Accident Asymmetric Skirt £220

These two just look fabulous together, this would most definitely be my power suit. My sister has a Chanel 'power suit' but I think I'd pack more punch in this VW one. Shirt, Blouse, a smart tee, this suit will look great with any of those and the edgy design is just, well, me :D I don't mean to blow my own horn, but if I were 20lbs lighter I'd look fantastic in this!


Vivienne Westwood Anglomania Collection - Empress Silk-Satin blouse £235

Last but by no means least, I love this silk-satin blouse. Again, it's such a simple design, but with those gorgeous VW extras. I'd pair this with a pair of slim fit tailored trousers or a nice wide legged pair, charcoal grey, or a nice light grey, or maybe even a cream.

I wish I had money... Maybe one day you'll see pictures of me on here modelling these clothes boasting about my wonderful wardrobe. But, I won't be holding my breath :)

No comments:

Post a Comment